When do you need a trademark attorney?
Trademark law, or the protection of brand names, is quite a popular and growing niche in the area of intellectual property nowadays. It is in the enterprises’ best interests to hire a skilled specialist who can provide legal advice on the protection, usage and enforcement of trademarks: the names, symbols, images, logos and special characters used to identify the company products and service in order to prevent clients from being deceived and using forgery. It should be noticed that the job is really popular and the U.S. federal government requires more people for ip industry vacancies.
In order to get the best possible service you should work out the strategy to be sure that you are going to hire the one, you will enjoy a fruitful co-operation. Check out a 5-step guide and get the confidence in your choice.
How do I choose a reliable specialist?
- Let a reliable person recommend you a skilled lawyer. As any other specialist, a trademark lawyer is known due to the reputation. That is why first of all consult with knowledgeable people who already have experience in co-working with trademark lawyers. You may fully rely on them and not be afraid of being deceived.
- Make a research on your own. You can find a good specialist on the internet; it is quite challengeable but still possible. There are a great many resources with information about attorneys who specialize in intellectual property. Moreover, your local state’s bar association can also arm you with knowledge about licensed attorneys who are ready to provide you with descent service. Remember that your primary aim is to hire a well-educated in trademark law specialist who also has extensive experience in providing trademark assistance. If the candidate is hesitant to discuss his or her educational background or qualifications – do not waste your time and move on to another candidate. Mind that The Institute of Trade Mark Attorney can provide you with the database which can help you find an expert.
- Make sure that the attorney is trained, licensed and experienced. Surely it is important for an attorney to have a certain educational background; moreover, equally important is the experience. The combination of these two factors can help you choose and hire the exact specialist.
- Interview the attorney. The best way to determine which of the candidates is the best for you is to meet with them in person and discuss your case. Such an interview must show you with whom you feel most comfortable, so don’t expect to receive extensive legal advice (it comes after you hire the lawyer). Many attorneys offer this service for free or for a reduced cost.
- Choose the one you enjoy working with! As it has already been stressed above, the experience and educational background are extremely important, so is the personality of the IP attorney. You should give the preference to the one, who listens to you advice, concerns, and ideas; offers unique solutions for your needs. It is very important to choose the IP lawyer who will keep you informed of all major developments about your case. Choose someone you really trust!